The Q&A Archives: Design of a flower garden

Question: I am adding topsoil to my flower garden and would like to extend the dimensions. Currently, I have a flower garden in front of my front porch. The flower garden is straight across the front of our porch. I think that looks plain and simple. Without going through the hassle of software and getting books, due to the fact that I would like to do it this weekend, do you have any suggestions of something that looks neat or elegant? I was thinking about adding a few curves here and there.

Answer: A gentle "French curve" which is wider at one end and narrower at the other might look graceful and elegant. Use a garden hose or orange electrical extension cord (unplugged) or a piece of rope to experiment until you get an outline you like. Then be sure to test it to see if your lawn mower can handle it easily -- a tight curve is a pain to mow along. have fun with your project!