The Q&A Archives: Hydrangea macrophylla and Hemerocallis 'Stella D'Oro'

Question: I am seeking the botanical and common names for two plants that have become popular recently. The fist plant is a hydrangea that blooms on it's old wood. The second plant is a perennial lily that has five successive blooms during the growing season. In addition to this information, I would be interested in learning about a data source that would list new and improved plants. D.T. Evans Taneytown, MD

Answer: The Hydrangea macrophylla blooms on old wood and should be pruned after blooming. By perennial lily that blooms 5 times you mean daylily, then Hemerocallis 'Stella D'Oro' would probably be the choice. It blooms on and off all summer long. I'd check magazine's in their January issues for new and improved plants. National Gardening has a big story on vegetables, Horticulture and Fine Gardening talk a lot about perennials and shrubs.