The Q&A Archives: Poppies As Cut Flowers

Question: Why is it that my oriental poppies wilt almost as soon as I put them in a vase? I've noticed that Hollyhocks do this too. Is there something I can do to make them last in bouquets?

Answer: Traditional lore has it that poppy stems should be sealed shut by running them over a flame; in my experience (I discovered this by accident) hollyhocks last much better if cut early in the morning and plunged (stems only) into a bucket of water containing one or two tablespoons of household bleach and left to soak for a day in a cool dark place. Afterwards, arrange them normally but be sure to keep the arrangement out of direct light and in as cool a spot as possible. You might also find some of the information at the following website interesting:

Good luck with your cut flowers!