The Q&A Archives: Plumeria

Question: I've been growing a plumeria in a pot by the window. Last year for the first time it bloomed(almost 9 months). Now the plant is heavily tipped toward the window. If I turn the plant around how long should it take to grow back the other direction and will it forgo blooming this year if I do it? It took 3 years to bloom from when I first planted it.

Answer: Plumeria, or Frangipani, is a wonderful houseplant. Plumerias can be grown in containers, in the ground, or in containers sunk into the ground. During the months of active growth, ample sun, food, and water are essential. Healthy plumeria will grow vigorously and bloom regularly and profusely when they receive at least 6 hours of full sun per day and an ample amount of fertilizer. Plumeria love lots of water, but can't tolerate wet feet, so they must be planted in highly organic fast draining soil, in beds or containers with adequate drainage. Turning your plant should not delay its bloom, but increasing the light it gets will certainly help speed up the process. You may even want to invest in a gro-light to make sure the plant gets the light it needs to perform to its full potential. It might take as long for your plant to straighten up as it took for it to lean toward the light. Your patience in waiting for your plant to flower is remarkable! If you improve the growing conditions, you will be rewarded with lots of fragrant blooms.