The Q&A Archives: Weeds And Carpet

Question: I have planted vegetables in my garden in rows that are far apart. I am afraid I am going to have a lot of weeds because this plot went two years with just weeds growing in it. Between the rows can I put newspapers or grass clippings? I am removing carpet in my house, and I thought I could recycle it by cutting it in strips and laying it between the rows. My boyfriend says that would create a haven for mice and it's a bad idea. What would be be best way for me to control the weeds?

Answer: The carpet is actually a great idea for controlling weeds! National Gardening Association wrote an article about it, you can read it online at:

Newspaper, mulch, landscape fabric, straw, salt hay...all work well at controlling weeds. Lots of people use grass clippings too, I don't like to use them though, because no matter what I do, the weed seeds from the grass clippings end up planting themselves with my veggies.