The Q&A Archives: Landscaping a terraced embankment

Question: In the front of my home I have a steep embankment. Last year I came up with a solution to quit mowing it. I decided to place garden lumber ties. To make several layers on the bank. I placed perennials there last spring and summer and I need some suggestion on what you would consider using on this embankment. It recieves good sunlight morning and afternoon. If you could give me a list of some flowers or greens to help fill in these areas I would greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. (the lumberties are approx. 40x3) Kelly Huntingdon, PA

Answer: I'd start with Creeping Juniper. There are an enormous number of cultivars of this ground cover evergreen. Then look into dwarf conifers. These plants with give your garden year-round structure. Then investigate woody shrubs. Viburnums are beautiful flowering shrubs, My favorite is the Doublefile Viburnum (Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum). You can round out your garden with a mix of perennials and annuals. The perennials give foliage color all season when they are finished blooming and the annuals give color all season! Perennials such as delphiniums, Ladies Mantle, daylilies, iris or sedum. Annuals: marigolds, petunias, zinnias, asters, or statice. The list is unending! Have fun!