The Q&A Archives: Vine for shading a kennel

Question: I just added a kennel for my dogs. Unfortunately, the only side of the house that's not already landscaped is the south side. This is going to be just SCORCHING in the intense front-range sun. So I'd like to add a vine to the west side of the kennel.What do you recommend? I'd like something fast growing, and NON-POISONOUS to dogs. I noticed the Cardinal Climber in your catelogue - the idea of attracting hummingbirds sounds good (we have some, and I'd like to attract more). I've thought about hops, since my husband is a brewer. I'm open to anything that's decorative and non-poisonous. Either annual or perennial. Jaci Engel Loveland, CO

Answer: The hops is a great idea. First, your husband will love the fresh source and secondly, hops is covered with spines so the dogs will be discouraged from eating it. It's a perennial. If you want more information on hops that are hardy to your region, e-mail He does research on cold hardiness of hops and could probably give you some good information.