The Q&A Archives: Mexican Petunia

Question: I saw your Mexican Petunia question in the FAQs. It helped a little but I need to know if there is any special care needed such as pruning, fertilization, etc. Will it survive a winter in Central South Carolina and how much water?

Answer: Commonly called the Mexican Petunia, Ruellia brittonia is an evergreen shrub that grows in full sun or light shade. It grows to 3 feet, with narrow leaves and 2-inch blue flowers. 'Katie' is a dwarf cultivar. It takes moderate water once established. Fertilize once a year at the beginning of the growing season with a balanced fertilizer such as 10-10-10. It looks better with a natural growth habit, so only light pruning to clear dead branches, etc. should be needed. It should survive your winter, but protection from potential frost is always a good idea. Thanks for writing!