The Q&A Archives: How do I get rid of moss in my lawn?

Question: How would I get rid of moss in my front lawn that is on a hill? Ever time I water the lawn the water runs down and does not get a chance to absorb into the lawn.

Answer: Moss grows where lawn grass would prefer not. Moss likes constantly wet, poorly-drained, shady, alkaline conditions. Grass likes moisture but not constantly wet soil, good drainage, full sun, and a slightly acid soil. To get the lawn to take back theterritory, check your drainage and watering regime, provide more sun, and have a soil test done to determine the pH (5.5 to 6.5 is nice, 7 and above is moss stuff). In the meantime, mow the lawn higher (bluegrass, rye, or fescue up to 3 inches) to allow it to better compete with the moss which gorws short.