The Q&A Archives: Variegated Pussy Willow

Question: I just purchased a variegated pussy willow but can't find any information on it. I want to know if this type of pussy willow gets the little fuzzies like the other type. Can I start another plant just by cutting off a piece and rooting it in water?

Answer: The fuzzies are actually the blooms at an early stage, and your shrub should form them. Watch for them early next spring! While you may be able to root a cutting in water (when used as cut flowers or forced for decoration they occasionally root in the vase!), damp sand or a soilless potting mix will result in a better root system. However, your plant may also be a named and patented selection, so to propagate it yourself might be technically illegal. (Check the plant label for that information.) Enjoy your plant!