The Q&A Archives: Getting rid of broad leaf weeds in a lawn

Question: I would like to get rid of the broad leaf weeds in my lawn this year and I also have areas which need seeding. My lawn is edged by flowers, bulbs and shrubs. I would like to know the proper timing of the weed killing and the seeding and which products would be the safest for the flowers, bulbs and shrubs. Ed Golash Syracuse, NY

Answer: Thanks for your kind words. Broadleaf weeds are best killed in spring when they are actively growing. You can use herbicides then, but wait a week or two before seeding the area. There are newer types of herbicides that are safer than the traditional Roundup types to use. Check your local garden centers for Weed Eraser this spring. It's based on an organic acid and it claims to work well on broadleaf weeds. It does only kills the green plants it comes in contact with, so is very specific.