The Q&A Archives: Hardiness of Pineapple Sage

Question: I bought a pineapple sage plant this spring and planted it in a pot. If it is a perennial should I plant it in a flower bed instead of a container? Also, can I make it bushier?

Answer: Pineapple sage (Salvia elegans) is hardy only in Zones 7 to 10. It may have some trouble making it over a hard winter in your climate, especially in a container. You could cut it back and bring it into an area that doesn't get too cold.

You could plant it in a black plastic nursery pot with hole in the bottom and then sink the pot into the soil for easier fall lifting and transporting indoors.

For a bushier pineapple sage, shear back the growing tips by about 1/4 the height of the plant, once or twice in early summer. However, I have found this unnecessary as they tend to fill in and get really bush if grown in full sunlight.