The Q&A Archives: How to save seeds

Question: I am interested in saving seeds from flowers and vegtables that I grow around house and in garden. What is proper method for preserving seeds once they are taken from flower or vegtable? Are there any good resource materials or how to books on the subject? Frank Bailey, Jackson, MI

Answer: You can save seeds from flowers and vegetables you're growing, but how to do it varies depending on the seed. First, only save seed from open pollinated, not hybrid, plants. Hybrid plant seed will not come true to type when planted. For more information check out these books, Seed to Seed Suzanne Ashworth Seed Savers Publications, 1991 RR 3, Box 239 Decorah, IA 52101 The New Seed Starters Handbook Nancy Bubel Rodale Press Emmaus, PA 1988