The Q&A Archives: Eggplants in Container

Question: I have six eggplant seedlings that I started from seed and that are now too big for their current pot. I want to eventually have the eggplants in a container. Do I now transplant say 3 each to a big container, or do I successively move to bigger and bigger containers? I am afraid with the latter option that they might get stressed from so much replanting. What size container should I use and how many should I have to a pot?

Answer: You didn't say how big the seedlings are. If they're transplant size (like you'd purchase from a nursery), plant them in their "final" pot. If they're still fairly small, you can move them up a size, but put one seedling in about a 4" pot. It's easier to transplant them when their roots aren't co-mingled. From there, transfer to your final container--one plant per each 15 gal container (approximately). Eggplants can get bushy so give them plenty of room to grow. Good luck!