The Q&A Archives: Flower Drop on Lemon Tree

Question: I have a two foot Dwarf Meyer Lemon tree which I keep indoors under grow lights. It was covered in buds and blossoms but each blossom drops off once the bud opens. Both the blossom and the green knob which supports it just fall right off. What could be causing this

Answer: Indoor Citrus trees need average household warmth, plenty of sunshine and moderate watering all year long. If your plant is subjected to drafts, cold temperatures, or fluctuations in soil moisture, it might respond by dropping the blossoms. It's also possible that the flowers need to be pollinated by hand in order for them to begin the process of developing fruit. If all the cultural needs are being met, you might want to try transferring pollen by dabbing the inside of each flower with a fine camel's hair paintbrush. Hope this results in some tasty fruit!