The Q&A Archives: Rose of Sharon

Question: Several years ago I planted a Rose of Sharon and to this date it has never bloomed. The leaves fill out nicely and I have pruned and fertilized it regularly. What is my problem?

Answer: Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus)grows 8'-12' in height and 6'-10' wide. It's widely adaptable to soil types and degree of sunlight it receives, and doesn't mind very wet or very dry soils. It grows best in moist, well-draining soils supplemented with peat moss, leaf mold or compost. Blooms are produced on new wood and should begin to show in June and continue to September. The only requirement Rose of Sharon has that you may not be able to provide is summer heat. The plant is native to China and India and thrives on summer heat. You may want to relocate your plant to a south or west facing area near a fence or wall where reflected heat might induce bloom.