The Q&A Archives: Tips for a beginner vegetable grower

Question: I am just embarking on gardening (vegetable) for the 1st time. I will be planting in a space a little larger than 10'x10'. The soil here is very clayey . What types of fertilizers are best? Should I plant directly in earth, or start with seed-starter kits? I will like to grow such things as cucumbers, peas, carrots, tomatoes. When is the best time to start planting and buying materials? Susan Dobrovolny Naperville, IL

Answer: First of all start by building the soil. Add lots of organic matter in the form of compost, leaves, and grass clipping for example. If your soil is tough to work because of the clay, try growing your vegetables in raised beds. Raise the soil up about 10 high and create a bed 3' wide by as long as you wish. Start with planting transplants of tomatoes, peppers and lettuce. Crops to seed are peas, carrots, beans, squash. Follow the directions for spacing on the packages. You can buy the seed now, but wait until you're ready to plant to buy transplants. You should be able to put the cool seas oncrops such as peas, carrots and lettuce in the ground by May 1st, but wait until the end of May for the beans, squash and tomatoes.