The Q&A Archives: tulip bulbs

Question: I had planted 8 tulip bulbs in 2 flower boxes. The tulips were growing just fine and then a tiny, green, spider-like bug attacked the tulips. There were hundreds of them and they killed my tulips. Can the bulbs be re-planted? If so, what precautions can I take so this does not happen again? Thank you.

Answer: Based on your description it sounds as though tulip bulb aphids might have infested your tulips. These insects feed on the above ground part of the tulip in the spring but actually damage the stored bulb as well. To avoid reinfestation you should remove and destroy the bulbs (do not compost them). Since they were planted in flower boxes you might also consider replacing the soil in the boxes if you plan to grow tulips there again. I'm sorry about your tulips!