The Q&A Archives: Revitalizing strawberries

Question: Last May I planted everbearing strawberry plants that are to fruit this year. I mulched them lightly last fall with medium grade bark mulch and haven't really touched them since then. They have a number of brown, dead leaves in the patch and the remaining green leaves have brown around the edges. Can I expect these plants to come alive again and to eventually fruit? What can I do now to revitalize them? Ann Settles Alexandria, VA

Answer: Your strawberries just need a little boost of fertilizer, warmth and water. Once the weather gets more consistently warm (April) and the plants start actively growing, apply a topdressing of compost and even a little cottonseed meal or 10-10-10 fertilizer. Water it in well, remove all the old leaves and mulch that you put on the bed and they should really take off. If you have no new growth in April or May, them those plants may have winter killed.