The Q&A Archives: New bluebery bush; no leaves

Question: I recently ordered a bareroot blueberry bush and have planted it in a container. After 5 weeks, not a single leaf has appeared. The shrub is definitely still alive as I scraped at the bark. What could be wrong?

Answer: Your blueberry bush may yet decide to leaf out. To encourage it, be sure the soil is an acid mix and that it is kept moist but well drained, meaning not soggy. (These plants require air in the root zone as well as moisture.) You could also try misting the plant to maintain ample humidity until it leafs out. Be sure too that it is in ample sun and out of strong wind. To be honest I don't know how well it will do in a container over time, these are generally very large plants and need several years to reach bearing size, but good luck with your shrub!