The Q&A Archives: Scented Geranium hasn't Bloomed

Question: I bought a chocolate mint scented geranium from local nursery. I've planted it in a plastic pot on my deck. It gets full sun and I've used miracle gro every other time I water it. So far it hasn't bloomed and doesn't seem to have much of a scent. Am I doing something wrong?

Answer: Scented geraniums have a bloom period during the summer, with small, sometimes insignificant flowers, but they don't always bloom for as long a period as the "common" red geraniums. Yours will probably bloom as the temperatures rise. The scent is in the leaves, and typically most noticeable if the leaves are brushed against, or crushed. It doesn't "emit" fragrance the way, for example, a jasmine does. Some gardeners put the plants where they will be brushed against, such as next to a path. Herb plants typically have more flavor and more scent if they are not overfertilized, so you might decrease your fertilizing schedule and see if that helps. Most scented geraniums have terrific fragrances, so if this one disappoints you, try another!