The Q&A Archives: Container Plants

Question: I live in an apartment and would like to grow perennial flowers in containers. My goal is to have foliage year round and flowers at some point in the year. My apartment gets enough sun to support houseplants, but not an enormous amount. What would do well in these conditions?

Answer: There are a number of plants that will provide seasonal color and greenery year around, in a brightly lit spot. If the light isn't quite bright enough, you can supplement with fluorescent or gro-lights. Try growing begonias, African violets, fuchsia, Coleus, Lobelia, Hoya, Croton, Ivies, Cordyline, miniature roses, Azalea and Cineraria. Flowering plants will require the brightest light. Examples are a west-facing windowsill or within 2' of a south-facing window. Some plants will thrive when placed within 5' of a large sunny window. You may have to experiment to find just the right match of plants to your lighting conditions. Good luck with your project!