The Q&A Archives: Sprouting Bells of Ireland Seeds

Question: Do you have any suggestions for getting Bells of Ireland seed to sprout? I soaked them, and didnt cover them as I had read they needed light to come up, put them in a plastic bag for added moisture and waited, but nothing happened.

Answer: Seeds of Moluccella (Bells of Ireland), need a cold treatment before they will germinate. Here's how to convince them it's time to germinate: Place the seeds together with some moistened growing medium in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 5 days. Then prepare your trays or pots by filling with moistened seed starting mix and sow the seeds just on the surface, barely pressing in with your hand. Provide cool temperatures and light. Seeds will sprout in 8-35 days when kept at 50F -60F degrees.