The Q&A Archives: Vanishing Lima Bean seeds!

Question: On May 24th, I planted 2 kinds of pole beans: Burpee's Best (Lima), and Burpee Kentucky Blue. The snap
beans were up within 4-5 days, but as of two days ago (June 6), there was no sign of the limas. My soil
temp is about 63 degrees. I got curious and did some digging, and found all the lima bean seeds gone.
Since this seemed unbelievable after digging around the first pole, I dug a 2x2 ft area around the second
pole and sifted the soil through a screen, thinking that if the seeds had rotted, I'd still find something. No
seeds! We've had warm sunny weather, with one day of slow, soaking rain, and I've been watering lightly
with a watering can every 3-4 days. I'm beginning to suspect that the seeds were stolen. Do you know if crows or squirrels will make off with lima bean seeds?

Answer: The answer to your question is "Yes!" I suspect chipmunks will also steal them. You might try covering them with a bit of wire mesh or perhaps a board until they begin to germinate.