The Q&A Archives: Tulips in Phoenix

Question: My husband is building a flower bed around our backyard patio. It gets shade most of the morning and some sun from the west in late afternoon. I want to plant tulip bulbs. Can I do so in my zone, (not sure what zone I am)?

Answer: Phoenix is situated on the border between zones 8 and 9. Tulips are a lovely flower! They can be grown here, but they don't thrive and the bulbs usually last only one season. The opposite conditions of morning sun and afternoon shade would be better, if at all possible. The afternoon sun is tough on most plants, including bulbs. Daffodils, iris, daylilies and amaryllis usually have a longer life here. However, if you don't mind losing the tulip bulbs after one season, you can give them a try! You can also force them in pots for the indoors. Good luck!