The Q&A Archives: Planting Fall Harvested Peas

Question: I would like to try planting fall peas. I live in zone 7 and I would like to know your recommendations for when to plant and what peas would grow best.

Answer: You'll want to plant your seeds in time to allow the beans to mature prior to the first frost of the season. In your Zone 7 garden, the first frost generally occurs between September 30 and October 30. To be on the safe side, let's plan to have the entire crop harvested by mid- to late-September. Pole beans take a week to ten days longer to mature than bush beans, so if you're planting pole-types such as Kentucky Wonder or Blue Lake, sow the seeds directly in the ground by mid-July. This will give the seeds about a week to germinate and about 60 days to maturity. If you're planting bush beans, such as Burpee's Tenderpod or Stringless Green Pod, you can sow by the first of August. Plant the seeds one-inch deep and 2"-3" apart in rows 18"-36" apart. Happy harvesting!