The Q&A Archives: Copper Tape

Question: I am trying to control a slug who enjoys dining upon my peach tree. I have purchased a role of copper barrier tape that is adhesive. I was wondering if it is safe to place this tape around the trunk of the tree itself or if I should place a little wall of it on top of the burm. I don't want it to hurt the tree in any way.

Answer: To be on the safe side, why not wrap a stretchy material around the trunk first and attach the copper strip to that? This is also a good way to keep sticky products like 'Tanglefoot' from making a permanent home on tree bark. Use old nylon pantyhose or some other stretchy material, pull it snug but not overly tight around the trunk, then apply the adhesive-backed copper strip.