The Q&A Archives: Chrysanthemum Bud Problems

Question: My chrysanthemums come up green and thick, they form many buds, then as soon as the buds begin to show signs of opening, they turn dark, wither up and die. I don't see any bugs, and only the buds (not leaves) are affected.

Answer: The problem may be cultural or it may be a disease. Chrysanthemums are generally disbudded so that only one bud remains in a cluster. This results in one large flower, as opposed to several smaller flowers per stem. Your plant may be trying to develop too many flowers all at once and sacrifices them all. Or, a fungal disease may be causing the problem. Since the plant looks healthy, pinch off the affected buds and then remove all but one bud per cluster to see if that helps. For continued health of your plant, don't apply water to the foliage and buds, and pinch back to provide plenty of air circulation in and around the plant.