The Q&A Archives: Rooting Compounds

Question: 1) When propagating, what types of rooting compounds are best for most houseplants?
2) Where is the best place to find them?
3) I know there is a liquid and powder form, which is best?

Answer: Rooting hormone is usually sold in liquid or powder form in either a small bottle or a foil packet; it is literally a hormone to stimulate root formation along the stem. The powder form has a longer shelf life, but either product works equally well. A commonly seen name brand is Rootone; it is usually carried by garden centers and nurseries and occasionally large hardware chains. Try looking for it in with specialty fertilizers.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Char and is called "'Diamond Head' Sunrise"