The Q&A Archives: Growing High-quality Cilantro

Question: How do you grow cilantro from seed so it somewhat resembles that which you find in the produce dept? I have grown both seed and purchased plants and they immediately get tall and straggely and go to seed. How do you get the full bushy leafy type? I have very little space and want to grow in pots. I live near the ocean in Southern California. Last year, by happenstance, I moved some seedlings into a large 24 pot and I seemed to have gotten better results. Is this the answer? What's the real story? I need to know, I love salsa with cilantro!

Answer: I, too, love salsa with lots of cilantro. I also love seafood with cilantro, Chinese food with cilantro, cilantro on my scrambled eggs, street tacos with cilantro, cilantro on my guacamole.... but enough. To get produce-quality cilantro, sow seeds direct in fall or late winter (in Southern California). Make sure you have a light but moisture retentive soil (lots of organic matter). Keep the young plants moist-- not soggy -- and feed regularly but lightly with a balanced plant food. Avoid stresses of heat, dryness, or transplanting which will cause bolting (early stretching and flowering).