The Q&A Archives: Forget-Me-Nots

Question: I have beautiful Forget-Me-Nots everywhere every spring, then they get scraggly and ugly. I pull a lot of them out, but I have the kind that must spread their seeds to come up again next year. WHEN do the seeds ripen? I want to pull all of the scaggly things out, but want to make sure I have Forget-Me-Nots next year. Can I pull them all out now

Answer: Forget-Me-Not seeds should ripen as the seed pods turn a tannish gray color. This will be after the petals fall, so you'll have to continue to put up with the straggly looking flower stems if you want the plants to self-sow. Check the progress of your plants by picking off a flowering stem and opening one or two of the small seed pods. If it contains a ripened seed (dark in color, not green), pull the plants and shake them over the area where you want new plants to sprout. Shaking should dislodge the ripened seeds.