The Q&A Archives: Yucca Palm

Question: I have many yuccas, with no problem flowering or growing. I have seen yuccas trimmed so they look like palm trees. I keep cutting off the bottom leaves that lay on the ground, then after they bloom, I cut off the spike, then the old plant dies and a new one grows, but I never get to keep the old one alive long enough to create the palm tree effect. How can I do this?

Answer: I don't think it's your effort that's failing, I think it's that you're trying to achieve the impossible. Some Yuccas are stemless and others can reach tree size. You're probably growing the shrub-type (Yucca filamentosa or Yucca glauca) which is not capable of producing a tall stem. Yucca gloriosa will grow 6'-8' high, often with a tuft of sword-like leaves at the top. So, outside of planting the variety that will grow tall, you won't be able to have a palm-like Yucca.