The Q&A Archives: Black Spots on Pear Tree

Question: We have a 6 year old pear tree which started bearing fruit since last year. This year there are lot of pears already, but almost all the leaves on the tree have black spots. What is it? Is it a disease? What can I do to prevent it? The tree is planted in full sun and is about 15 feet high. We haven't pruned the tree so far and it is little dense. Recently I noticed that some of the leaves are being eaten away, although I don't see any bugs.

Answer: Pear trees are succeptible to scab, a fungal disease that also attacks apples. It needs humid weather in order to grow. You can prevent further spread of the disease with sulfur sprays, but unfortunatly, the spots that are there will remain. I suggest that you send some affected leaves to your agricultural extension office (ph# 402/444-7804) so they can identify the disease for sure, and advise you on the proper control.

For more information on caring for your pear tree, see:

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"