The Q&A Archives: Oleander Leaves Turning Yellow

Question: I have an oleander in a pot, and I've placed it outdoors
for the summer in full sun. It is starting to get some
real nice flower buds, but the leaves around the bottom of the plant are turning yellow. The top is growing fine.
What shoud I do?

Answer: It may be that the lower, older leaves aren't adjusting well to the transition from the indoor to outdoor environment. Generally, when you move plants from either indoors or outdoors after they've been growing in the other environment, they need time to adjust to the new light, humidity and temperature levels. Ideally, you should give your plant 4-7 days of gradually increasing exposure to new conditions.

Plants growing in pots require more frequent watering than those growing right in the ground. Also, topdress the soil in the pot with a rich compost mixture to provide slow-release nutrients. I hope these suggestions are helpful!