The Q&A Archives: Helping euyonomus shrubs releaf

Question: My euyonomus shrubs suffered badly from powdery mildew late last summer and lost a lot of their leaves. I did not catch the problem early enough to prevent a lot of leaf dropping. Many of the branches are pretty bare, but the bushes seem OK. Will the bushes put out new leaves this year? Is there anything I can do to help foster growth of new leaves? I would like to avoid having to replace these shrubs if possible. Any suggestions? Romona Hobar Bowie, MD

Answer: Your euonymous bush should releaf this year. To help it along make sure it has adequate water and give it a dose of liquid fertilizer such as Miracle Grow. You can alos cut out a few branches to lessen the amount of foliage the roots need to support. One bad year usually isn't a problem, but if the defoliation happens a few years in a row, then it may kill the plant.