The Q&A Archives: Identity of Tree or Bush With Curly (Spiral) Branches

Question: I am searching for info on a plant used for live or preserved floral designs. Branches are curly, spiral in growth habit. I cut the ends off several branches, planted them, and they are leafing out. I need to know its preferred growing conditions, and any fertilizer requirements.

Answer: I think the plant you have in mind is the Corkscrew Willow (Salix matsudana 'Tortuosa'). It loves to grow in a moist environment such as at the edge of a pond. It loves full sun, but will tolerate a little shade. Floral arrangers prize its branches for their interesting, contorted growth habit.

To grow it successfully, keep it moist and fertilize in lightly in early spring and mid summer. Apply approximately one half cup of turf fertilizer (not a weed and feed product) spread over a 6 by 6 foot area.