The Q&A Archives: Crop Pests

Question: If you were an amateur vegetable gardener and could have only one reference book on crop destroying pests, what would it be?

Answer: That's such a difficult question to answer, but the book I most often refer to is Pests of the Garden and Small Farm by Mary Louise Flint. It's part of the Integrated Pest Management Education project through University of California. It lists the most common pests (both insect and disease), has color plates to aid in identification, and clearly lists symptoms of each problem. The book explains biological, cultural and chemical controls for each problem. The book can be ordered from Publications, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of California, 6701 San Pablo Ave., Oakland, CA 94608-1239. The publication number is #3332. It may also be available from a local bookstore ISBN# 9311876-89-3.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Sempervivum Henry Carrevon"