The Q&A Archives: Low-Maintenance, Attractive Shrubs

Question: We are re-doing a bed in the middle of out turnaround driveway. It is sloped and raised with cedartone poles as the border. We also have septic system below this bed. My question is could you give me a list of some low maintence attractive shrubs (also one that would be a good focal point). They would be getting full sun and shouldn't have deep root systems. Can you help?

Answer: Plants that are compatible to septic systems are shallow rooted, drought tolerant and sun loving. Trees and shrubs are not recommended because their roots seek the nutrients and moisture in the system and will soon cause problems. Native plants are good choices because they are adapted to the area, and grasses are highly recommended because they help wick water away. Here are some suggestions for planting in the bed: Ajuga (Carpet Bugle), Cotoneaster, Ground Ivy (Glechoma), Kinnickinick, Periwinkle, Soapwort, ornamental grasses or wildflower meadow mixes.