The Q&A Archives: Erosion control in Oklahoma with ground covers

Question: We live in the country in Central Oklahoma and have an erosion problem in an area between our property and our neighbors. We've thought about planting crown vetch in the ditch between us but won't it spread through our prairie area and become a real problem? What else could you suggest? Dede Varner Calumet, OK

Answer: I'm not sure whether the vetch would spread into your prairie area; you might contact your local Extension agent or state natural resources department for information specific to your area. There are other options for your ditch, however. Peaceful Valley Farm Supply, in Grass Valley, CA (Telephone # 916/272-4769) sells a variety of erosion control mixes , as well as some regional wildflower mixes and native perennial grasses that might be appropriate. Their catalog is full of useful information.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Sempervivum Henry Carrevon"