The Q&A Archives: Kumquat Care, Feeding, Watering, and Cold Protection

Question: How do I care for my kumquat bush which is planted outdoors?

Answer: Kumquats need a good soaking once a week or so to wet the soil and then allow it to dry out a bit. Mulch the plants well out to at least the outer spread of the bushes limbs to reduce weed competition.

Fertilize them in spring and again in early summer with one half cup of a 3-1-2 ratio product per bush spread evenly in the area exending about 4 feet from the bush in all directions. Then mix it into the surface mulch and water it in well. Don't fertilize it again after July.

When temperatures threaten to dip into the mid 20's, cover the bush with a blanket and provide it a source of heat such as an string of outdoor Christmas lights beneath the cover. Take the necessary precautions to make sure there is no fire hazard from the lights by examining for frayed electric wiring.