The Q&A Archives: When to Pick Green Beans

Question: I learned, the "tough" way, how and when to pick snow peas: before the peas inside swell! When do you know a green bean is ripe for picking? The beans I am growing are called Kentucky Wonders.

Answer: Your Kentucky Wonders should be ready to harvest 70 days after planting, or about two weeks after bloom. Since the plants will continually develop new beans, you should have some beans in various stages of maturity throughout the season. Harvest the beans when they're 6" - 8" long, but before the seeds begin to swell enough to be seen through the pods. I like mine slender, about the diameter of a pencil. You may like yours more mature. Experience will dictate when to harvest your beans, because it's really a matter of taste.