The Q&A Archives: Unknown Plant

Question: About 4 years ago my kids and I planted a kiwi seed. There could have been other kinds of seed in the pot; starfruit, mango, and lemon, but we were trying to grow a kiwi. Over the years we have come to suspect that it is not a kiwi. It is a tree like plant and not a vine. It has grown to about 3 feet and is a pretty plant The leaves are odd. There is a little leaf and growing out of it is a leaf about 5 inches long. The leaves are waxy and smell like lemon oil. The big leaf part is simple in shape. I know this is kind of an odd question but we are really curious about this.

Answer: It's really difficult to sort through the possiblities, based upon leaf shape, but if the leaves are glossy green and have a citrusy scent, I'd guess it's the lemon. The young stems of citrus are as green as the leaves, and sometimes the juvenile leaves have that odd shape you describe. If it produces bright white, waxy-looking, star-shaped blossoms, it's definitely a citrus!