The Q&A Archives: Fungus on soil around Wondo peas

Question: I am participating in a science fair and I would like to know the scientific name for your Pea Wando. My experiment is on the effect of different light colors on the Pea wando. One of my problems that I have is that there is a fungus growing on the soil. If you have any advice about how to get rid of the fungus without killing the peas, please let me know. Michael Hill Mason, OH

Answer: The botanical name for the pea is Pisum sativum 'Wondo . (When writing out the name, put the genus, Pisum, and the species, Sativum, in italics -- or underline them -- and put the cultivar, Wondo, in single quotation marks.) As far as the fungus on the soil: fungus likes moist, humid conditions. Be sure you are not overwatering your pea plants (though you don't want to underwater them either!) If your plants are crowded together, try providing a little more room between plants to increase air circulation. Provide some ventilation, too -- you can even direct a small room fan to blow gently on the plants for a while each day. (This may cause them to require more frequent watering.) Keep an eye on the plants for signs of disease, but it's likely that the fungus on the soil surface will not harm the plants.