The Q&A Archives: Plants for poor acidic soil in North Carolina

Question: Also, I am starting from scratch at a new house since I made a lot of mistakes last year and my yard was wiped out by Bertha and Fran. I'm now trying to plant native plants, or things that thrive in the conditions here (sand, clay, acidic soil, times of extreme heat, sometimes lots of rain. Any advice? Out lot is 1.33 acres, mostly wooded, but in back of the house we have about 5000 sq feet of open space -- we're going to seed a lawn in the spring and I'd also like a few trees -- What do you suggest? Patricia Wright Willard, NC

Answer: It's always a good idea to choose native species, or at least plants hardy and well-adapted to your climate. Some nice trees to consider are: Eastern dogwood, American holly, magnolia, sweet birch, and eastern redbud. Good perennials include phlox, rose verbena, butterfly weed, Indian pink, marsh mallow, blue-eyed grass, and purple coneflower.