The Q&A Archives: Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii)

Question: I have a crown of thorns, about 1 1/2 - 2 feet long. I was wondering what is the best type of soil, pot, watering schedule for this plant.

Answer: Euphorbia are desert plants, so they like a porous soil. They rot if there?s too much moisture and they must have excellent drainage. Try to find a potting mix made especially for cactus, or make your own with 1 part potting soil to 2 parts sharp sand, and 2 parts perlite or pumice.

Many indoor container cactus/euphorbia die from overwatering. Water slowly and deeply, letting the water drain out the bottom. As a guideline only, in summer, water 2 times per month; in winter, maybe just 1 time per month. Adjust for your plant as needed. Crown of thorns likes full sun, but can tolerate some shade. It can also be trained on a small frame or trellis. Stems can reach 3-4 feet. I hope this info helps!