The Q&A Archives: Dwarf lemon problems

Question: I've got a dwarf lemon that flowers and gets fruit, but it looses it's leaves and looks quite strange. I've been feeding it Miracle Grow. It gets lots of flowers, but only a few fruits. I just don't know what it wants. Linda Kieszek Santa Clara, CA

Answer: Lack of light and/or improper watering may be causing the blossoms to drop before setting fruit. Or lack of pollination may be at fault. (If your tree stays indoors, you'll need to hand-pollinate using a small paintbrush.) Be sure to keep the plant well-watered at blossom time and as the fruit is developing. Continue to feed your tree an all-purpose, balanced fertilizer. If your tree is in a container, it may be suffering from a build-up of salts from the fertilizer. Flush the pot occasionally with running water to help wash away salt build-up. Check the leaves for signs of diseases or pests.