The Q&A Archives: Fruit Types

Question: I plan on planting fruit trees and berries this next year. One of the problems is how can I find out how the fruit tastes before planting a tree of bush? I recently purchased peaches from the grocery store and the label said "Lane" and the number 4043. I notice a lot of fruits have a number on them, How can I convert this information into a type of fruit?

Answer: Produce finds its way into grocery stores from quite some distance away, so I wouldn't plan on growing the types of fruit you find in your local grocery. Chances are it came from out of state and that particular variety might not grow well in your gardening region. The labels on fruit often identify the grower and the field or the crop production number, not the cultivar or type of tree. To taste-test fruit that's grown locally, try to find Farmer's Markets, Fruit Cooperatives or a local club or chapter of Fruit Growers, a national organization of backyard fruit growers.