The Q&A Archives: Perennial flowering plants for sand and partial sun

Question: On our property there is a section with many pine trees and it is sandy. I need suggestions on what to plant there. Some sunlight is available throughout the day. Presently, a few cacti grow there. M.D. Wilson Ridge Spring, SC

Answer: I assume you are looking for perennial flowering plants for your site. Some good ones to consider are: Coreopsis, purple coneflower, black-eyed susan, rose mallow, butterfly weed, columbine, and foamflower. You may want to have a soil test done tocheck the pH of your soil, since pine needles are quite acidic. When preparing the planting area, be sure to incorporate lots of organic matter -- leaves, compost, well-rotted manure-- to help your sandy soil retain water, and add lime if necessary to sweeten the soil.