The Q&A Archives: Growing watermelons for farmer's market

Question: I am planning to grow watermelons on a farmer's market scale, I need to know, what kind of machinery is needed to grow watermelons starting from seeds all the way to harvest and trucking time? Dena Corbo Houlton, WI

Answer: The type of machinery you'll need depends on how you plan to grow your plants and the size of your operation. After the initial tilling, much of the work can be done by hand. An important consideration for you will be choosing the right varieties for your climate. You may also want to consider season-extending options like row covers and black plastic mulches to warm the soil. A good source of information would be the University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension office; their number is 608/263-2775. Ask for the name and number of the fruit and vegetable specialist for your area.