The Q&A Archives: Raising a Peach Tree from Seed

Question: Unexpectedly, a peach seed sprouted in my garden this spring. I removed it from its hopeless position (poor soil, little sunlight) and planted it in a container. In three months it has grown from 2 inches to 1 foot high, spreading leaves on bothsides of its single stem. My question is: do I have to prune it? If yes, how and when? What shall I do to protect it in winter? Note that I live in Venice, Italy; winters are never too cold.

Answer: Bon giorno. I suggest you plant the tree into the garden as soon as possible. No need to seriously prune it for 3-4 years; but do pinch out low side shoots as it continues to grow upward. And no need to provide any protection in the winter time. For your information, peaches grown from seed are almost always inferior (in quality, flavor, productivity) to the parent or purchased peach.